An indispensable member resource, to help you keep up on upcoming state deadlines.
SPECIFIC TASKS TO ADDRESS DURING JULY 2020
- July – First day of the new fiscal year for most Illinois school districts
- July TBD – Prevailing Wage: School districts must file a certified copy of the prevailing rate of wages with the Secretary of State and the Department of Labor in Springfield, and publish a legal notice of its wage rate determination within 30 days of the filing (820 ILCS 130/9).
- July TBD – ESSA Site-Based Reporting data based on June 30 financials is submitted through IWAS.
- July TBD – Expenditure Reports for Certain Categorical Grants: The Illinois State Board of Education will notify the school district via email as to which grants must file on IWAS.
- July TBD – Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return (Form 941).
- July TBD – Employer’s Quarterly Illinois Withholding Tax Return (form IL-941).
- July TBD – Illinois Department of Employment Security Quarterly Report (UI-3/40).
- July TBD – Begin initial submission of new TRS Pay-Period Reporting
- July TBD – Special Education Approval & Reimbursement; I-Star; Harrisburg Project
- Orphanage Regular Term (Fund Codes D,E,F) and Excess Cost (Fund Codes X, J)
- Claims DUE in I-Star.
- Student Approval records (all fund codes except B) due in I-Star.
- Special Education Orphanage & Student Eligibility Verification Final Errors resolved with ISBE
- July TBD – Winter/Spring/Summer, Student and Teacher Course Assignment data DUE in ISBE Student Information System (SIS)
- July TBD – File IDEA Part B Grants Completion/Final Expenditure Report
Upcoming ISBE Dates and Deadlines
Please note this is not a complete list of events, meetings, and deadlines. For more events and details, visit the ISBE Meetings page or call the Illinois State Board of Education at (866) 262-6663.
OTHER TASKS THAT COULD BE ADDRESSED DURING JULY 2020
- Prepare Tentative Budget – public display of tentative budget at least 30 days prior to adoption (105 ILCS 5/17-1).
- Hold Public Hearing on the Budget (publish legal notice indicating availability for public inspection of tentative budget and date, time, and location of public hearing (105 ILCS 5/17-1).
- Adopt new budget (must adopt annual budget by the end of the first quarter of the fiscal year and file with County Clerk and ISBE within 30 days of adoption).
- Begin to prepare Student Transportation Claim for Reimbursement (due to ISBE on or before August 15th). File on IWAS.
- Begin to prepare Annual Teachers’ Retirement System report.
- Resolution adopted by Board of Education designating interest earned on each fund during the new fiscal year continues to be interest and does not become part of the principal balance of that fund (23 IL.Adm.Code 100.50.a.(4)). The resolution, which preserves the Board’s option to transfer interest earned on one fund to another fund, must be adopted prior to June 30 of the fiscal year. The actual transferring of interest between funds requires another resolution.
COMING UP IN AUGUST
- Deadline to submit application for the second cohort of the Competency-Based High School Graduation Requirements Pilot Program
- School Nutrition Programs (SNP) Back to School Conference
- Illinois State Board of Education meeting
- Deadline to submit prior year Pupil Transportation Reimbursement Claim
- Deadline for waiver applications to be postmarked to be part of ISBE Fall Waiver Report
- Special Education Private Facility Tuition Claim submitted to the ISBE (105 ILCS 5/14-7.02)
- Deadline to submit EIS employment/positions, evaluations, attendance, and salary
- Final transmission of Special Education Personnel Employed submitted to the ISBE (105 ILCS 5/14-13.01)
- Annual Report of Earnings form, required documentation, and diskette submitted to the Teachers’ Retirement System of the State of Illinois (Springfield office) (40 ILCS 5/16-155)
- Pupil Transportation Reimbursement Claim submitted to the ISBE on IWAS (105 ILCS 5/29-5)
- District Average Daily Attendance in IWAS closes
FY 2021 EBF APPROPRIATIONS UPDATE
- Governor Pritzker signed Public Act 101 – 0637 into law on June 10, 2020. This public act appropriates school funding for fiscal year 2021. There is no new tier funding provided for FY 2021. All organizational units and specially funded units will receive their Base Funding Minimum, which is equal to their FY 2020 EBF distribution. You may view the distribution amounts on the Evidence-Based Funding (EBF) Distribution Calculation sheet.
- Contact State Funding & Forecasting with any questions you may have at (217) 782-0249.
FY 2020 ENGLISH LEARNER EBF EXPENDITURE REPORTING
- The EBF law passed on Aug. 31, 2017, requires the Illinois State Board of Education to notify school districts of the total English Learner (EL) funding generated by each district’s students. This composite amount of funds includes any EL funds generated under the Base Funding Minimum and Tier Funding. It does not include funding generated by the core investment cost factors of the EBF formula, the money from which also benefits ELs. View the listing of the FY 2020 EL funding totals per district. Districts were reminded that state funding attributable to ELs was to be spent on EL services per the requirements of Article 14C of the School Code. Article 14C also requires that at least 60 percent of EL funds must be spent on instructional costs of ELs (Function 1000).
- The FY 2020 EL-EBF expenditure reporting shows where EBF funds attributable to ELs were ultimately spent within each district. The Illinois Advisory Council on Bilingual Education has recommended that only districts that received $5,000 or morein total FY 2020 EL funds be required to submit an expenditure report through the period ending June 30, 2020. Any FY 2019 EL-EBF funds not expended in FY 2019 will appear in the FY 2020 expenditure report.
- Please contact the Multilingual Department at email@example.com you have questions regarding the FY 2020 EL-EBF expenditure report.
- Expenditure Reporting Instructions:
- Districts may now report their total FY 2020 EL-EBF expenditures by logging into the IWAS portal and selecting the Electronic Expenditure Reporting System. Choose Start New Expenditure Report and select 3305 Bilingual Ed – TPI & TBE program from the drop-down list. Select June 30, 2020, on the left side of the screen and click Continue to begin reporting. The Current Year Allotment will reflect the total amount of FY 2020 EL-EBF funding for the district (consisting of EBF Base Funding Minimum attributable to ELs and Tier Funding attributable to ELs) as well as funds not reported not expended from FY 2019.
- All districts should report direct costs from July 1, 2019, through June 30, 2020. All FY 2020 EL-EBF expenditure reports are due to ISBE by July 20.
FUNDING & DISBURSEMENTS
STATE AND FEDERAL JUNE 30 EXPENDITURE REPORTS DUE JULY 20
State and federal expenditure reports for the period ending June 30 are due on or before July 20. As you complete these reports, please keep in mind the following:
- Reports must be year-to-date that reflect expenditures from the start date of the project through June 30;
- Expenditures must be reconciled to the general ledger and align to the approved budget;
- Any amount reported in an expenditure account (cell) not budgeted or not within the acceptable expenditure variance will not be accepted.
- ISBE allows a variance of 10 percent or $1,000 per an object total, whichever is greater without going over the total budget
- An outstanding obligation is any liability for which funds are committed prior to the end of the reporting period (i.e., June 30) for services, contracts, and subawards made that is expected to be paid, usually within 90 days.
IMPORTANT: Do not enter a value in Outstanding Obligations on Line 34 of the expenditure report unless it is supported by a purchase order, payroll records, etc., such as:
- July and August payroll costs for teachers and staff on a 12-month payment schedule,
- Purchase orders for equipment or supplies,
- Personal and contractual services for which final invoice is pending payment./li>
If you have a specific question about an expenditure report due for a particular program, please email the appropriate staff in Funding and Disbursements.
GRANT ACCOUNTABILITY & TRANSPARENCY ACT
UPDATE TO GATA AUDIT REQUIREMENTS
The updated FY 2020 GATA Audit Requirement training document is now available at isbe.net/gata under the "What's new?" banner. Please be sure to review this document prior to your FY 2020 audit and before completing any of the FY 2020 GATA audit requirements. We encourage you to share this document with your audit firms. For questions, contact ISBE's GATA Department at GATA@isbe.net.
ILLINOIS REPORT CARD
UPCOMING WEBINAR: DATA QUALITY DASHBOARD 2.0 – JULY 14
Join ISBE staff from 10-11:30 a.m. on July 14 for an introduction to the new Data Quality Dashboard 2.0. The webinar is intended to assist public school districts in familiarizing themselves with the new system and quality checks. This system will help school districts find and correct data issues in SIS, EIS, EPS, EBF, and the Illinois Report Card. Registration for the DQD 2.0 Webinar is now available.
JUNE 2020 REPORT CARD RUNDOWN NOW AVAILABLE
The June issue of the Report Card Rundown is now available.
The Report Card Rundown is a short monthly newsletter consisting of data system openings/closings, reminders, webinars, and key information regarding the Report Card. In order to subscribe, visit isbe.net/reportcard and click “Subscribe.” If you have already subscribed previously, you do not need to re-subscribe. Please note district superintendents, principals, and ROE superintendents/ISC directors will automatically receive the Rundown without subscribing. All issues will also be posted at isbe.net/reportcard.
APPLY FOR EMERGENCY MEAL DISTRIBUTION EQUIPMENT GRANTS
Action For Healthy Kids (AFHK) announced the availability of Emergency Meal Distribution Equipment Grants to assist with grab-and-go curbside meal pickups, hot and cold food storage containers, grab-and-go packaging materials, and mobile distribution to families in outlying or rural communities.
The grants are sponsored by ALDI and Cargill. AFHK is working with equipment vendor Hubert to provide selected school districts with equipment credits for $1,000-$2,000 per site to purchase equipment to be used now and into the fall.
School districts providing meals during school closures because of the COVID-19 pandemic may apply for as many sites/schools that can use equipment. AFHK will fund as many within a district as possible.
- Applications will be reviewed and awarded on a rolling basis: Applications submitted by Friday of each week will be reviewed and awarded by the following Friday.
- Awarded districts will receive a letter detailing their award with a purchasing code for their Hubert orders, and awarded districts will work with Hubert customer service to order the items needed.
- Deadline: Rolling deadline until all funds are awarded.
For more information, including a link to download the application, visit the Action for Healthy Kids webpage.
SCHOOL BUSINESS SERVICES
FY 2020 ROUND 1 SCHOOL MAINTENANCE PROJECT GRANTS QUARTERLY EXPENDITURE REPORTS
All school districts that were awarded a School Maintenance Project Grant will be receiving an email explaining that they will need to complete a quarterly report for expenditures through June 30, 2020. Please follow the instructions found within IWAS or on ISBE’s website to complete the Quarterly Expenditure Report.
All School Maintenance Grants have been approved by ISBE and submitted to the Comptroller’s Office for payments. The payments for the grants have just started to be paid by the Comptroller’s Office. Your district may or may not have received the payment as of this notice. Please know the payments are forthcoming.
The grants have been approved, and the funds are being released. All recipients approved for the FY 2020 Round 1 School Maintenance Project Grants are required to submit a June 30 Quarterly Expenditure Report to comply with GATA requirements. The report is due within 20 days from the end of the quarter. These reports are available in IWAS. Please note: If your district has not yet started the approved school maintenance project(s) and/or has not expended any funds, please insert $0.00 to report accordingly.
Please contact Tiana Mathis with the School Business Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or SMPG@isbe.net if you need assistance.
REMINDER: UPCOMING WEBINARS AND REVISED FY 2021 BUDGET & FY 2021 ANNUAL FINANCIAL REPORT
School Business Services is scheduling two webinars to review the accounting rule revisions. These webinars will be held from 2-3:30 p.m. on June 24 and June 30. They will also be recorded for review at a later time, if necessary. Registration for the FY 2021 Budget and AFR requirements and revisions webinar is available for either webinar. If you have any questions, please submit an email to Finance1@isbe.net.
A summary of the budget and Annual Financial Report revisions is available on the School District/Joint Agreement page. A download of the FY 2021 budget template can also be obtained at the same site.
MENTAL HEALTH CRISIS FOR YOUTH - SCREENING, ASSESSMENT, AND SUPPORT SERVICE CAN HELP
Screening, Assessment, and Support Service (SASS) can help youth who may be going through a mental health crisis. The SASS program is administered by the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services and provides intensive mental health services for children and youth who may need hospitalization for mental health care. For more information, visit ISBE’s Mental Health Resources website or review the SASS brochure for more information.