The Superintendent Preparation Program prepares students to be competent, dedicated and caring individuals who are ready to assume the responsibilities of a school district superintendent. Students develop skills and aptitudes that will enable them to continue their professional growth and education throughout their careers.
- Earn your Superintendent Endorsement in just two years — after completing 30-33 credit hours of required coursework including a three credit hour internship.
- Get a solid grip on school finance — The partnership with Illinois ASBO means that you will learn school finance from the brightest minds in the field in school business administration.
- Apply your knowledge in a capstone internship — Complete at least 180 hours over one year that demonstrate proficiency in the knowledge, skill, and dispositions acquired in the program.
- Graduate School Application and Educational Administration and Higher Education Department Application
- All undergraduate and graduate college transcripts
- A minimum of a 3.25 graduate GPA on coursework for a master’s degree or equivalent
- A copy of a valid and current Illinois Professional Educator License with general administrative, principal, director of special education or CSBO endorsement
- Basic Skills Test OR Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) AND either GRE or GMAT
- At least two years full-time experience as a principal, director of special education or CSBO
- Three professional letters of recommendation
- A writing sample, preferably a graduate course paper
For questions about the program, please email Dr. Judith A. Green.
View the program on the SIU website.
Sample Course Sequence
- EAHE 550 – School Business Administration
- EAHE 556 – The School Superintendent and Board of Education
- EAHE 557 – Program Development and Evaluation
- EAHE 551 – Policy and Politics in American Education Systems
- EAHE 555 – The School Superintendent and Board of Education
- EAHE 543 – Professional Negotiations
- EAHE 558 – Personnel Evaluation and Administration
- EAHE 520 – Current Issues in Educational Administration
- EAHE 523 – Effective Management and Operations: Finance, Facilities, Technology & Grants
- EAHE 597 – Superintendent Internship
- Elective: EAHE 564 –Seminar in Ethics and Social Justice in Education
- EAHE 597 –Superintendent Internship
- Elective: EAHE 538 –Education and Social Forces
- Elective: EDUC 511 – Philosophical and Cultural Foundations of Education